First Steps on Windows
A quick guide on the first steps you can take with your fresh Blue Light Host Windows Server.
Blue Light Tech
- First, head over to Packages and spin up a new Cloud Server. You’ll then need to login to your Customer Portal, following the link on the website, or clicking here.
- You’ll be greeted by the homepage of your Portal. On the sidebar, go to “Cloud Services”
- Now select your new package:
- We need to create the Windows Virtual Machine, so click “Add new server”:
- Name the VM, and choose a Windows template from the OS Template Dropdown. Configure the RAM, CPU and Data Disks to your required resources, and click “Create new Virtual Machine”:
Wait for the progress bar to complete, and the initial provisioning of the server to finish. The VM will have the following status until it is provisioned:
- Your Windows VM is now created, but is not externally accessible by Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) yet. We do not make any assumptions about our clients, and so to be secure from the start, the firewall is blocking RDP requests. If you require RDP access, continue with the following steps:
- From the server screen, select the “Network” tab:
- Select “Port forwarding”:
- On the Port Forwarding screen, you will need to setup the port for RDP access. The default port for RDP is 3389, so we shall enter this into “Add new rule” and click “Submit”:
- The rule should now be added to your Configuration:
- RDP will be enabled on your Windows VM! Check that you can connect to your VM IP Address with a Remote Desktop Client of your choice, remembering that your Login details to the VM are as default “Administrator”, with the randomly generated password that can be found by clicking “List Servers” -> <YourVMName> -> “show” next to “Root password”:
You now have a newly configured Windows VM, with full Remote Desktop access, ready for you to get started with your project! For help with more installations and guides, please browse our other articles in our Knowledge Base.