Installing and Configuring Wordpress
A simple guide to Installing and Configuring Wordpress for your Cloud Server
Blue Light Tech
Wordpress is one of the most used Content Management Systems in the world today. Though started as a humble blogging software, through its extensive plugin framework and theme system, it has grown and blown up to be a full-featured web-creation tool today. Wordpress is built on LAMP or LEMP and it is a breeze to master once the installation is done right.
But herein lies the challenge. Installing it might be a little tricky especially for those without the helping hand of cPanel or Plesk. Since our main drive at Blue Light Host is to make your life easy when dealing with this software, our step by step guide will walk you through the process.
Set your Server up correctly
We have written awesome posts that will help you understand the nitty-gritty of setting up your server and connecting with it. So, before pushing ahead, ensure you’ve used our guides “Setting Up Your Server With <OS>”.
- Check out your Hostname and Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN)
- Ensure you have either LAMP or LEMP. Read our guide how to create (LAMP) or (LEMP).
- Ensure you have a database set up specifically for Wordpress. If you do not have one, quickly follow these steps:
- Enter Mysql Command line from your Terminal:
mysql -u root –p
- Lets now create a Wordpress database
create database wordpress
- Create a new user and grant it user privileges to run the wordpress database:
grant all on wordpress.* to 'newuser' identified by 'password';
- Step out of MySQL:
- Enter Mysql Command line from your Terminal:
Now that we are through with the initial setup, let’s begin with the Wordpress installation.
- First, create a new directory (src) to store our soon to be downloaded wordpress files. This shall be in our home directory. Type:
mkdir /var/www//example.com/src cd /var/www/example.com/src
- Moving on, now ensure that the owner of the directory is the web server's user, this helps to avoid permission errors down the line.
chown -R www-data:www:-data /var/www
- Lets install WordPress now:
sudo wget http://wordpress.org/latest.tar.gz sudo -u www-data tar -xvf latest.tar.gz
- We can now move the latest.tar.gz and rename it wordpress
sudo mv latest.tar.gz wordpress-`date '+%Y-%m-%d'`.tar.gz
- Now lets now copy the Wordpress files in the public_html, while removing the folder from the src directory:
sudo cp -R wordpress/* ../public_html/ sudo rm -rf wordpress/
Now that we are through dealing with the server-side functions, let’s commence with configuration.
- Pay the newly installed Wordpress a visit by typing http://serveripaddress in the address bar of your favourite browser. It is assumed that you copied the wordpress files into the public_html folder, in the instructions given above.
- Review the informational start-up page and click 'Lets Go!'
- Next, supply the credentials of the database and its user/password. You can leave localhost and table prefix as it is. Click Submit.
- Run the 'Alright Sparky' install and next supply general details for your website, its public name, admin user details, email address, etc
- Right now, anytime you want to update/install your plugins or themes, you will be asked to supply your ftp details. But you can easily bypass this by doing this: Open up the wp-config file:
nano /var/www/example.com/public_html/wp-config.phpThen add the following towards the end of the file:
/** Bypass FTP */ define('FS_METHOD', 'direct');
- Next up, empower Wordpress to add and edit files in the public_html folder:
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/example.com/public_html
sudo a2enmod rewrite
- And restart Apache:
service httpd restart
Note:If you want to use customized posts url, then there is a need to enable your apache by adding the following file to your .htaccess
<Directory /var/www/> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks AllowOverride All Require all granted </Directory>
Restart apache again and it should be enabled.
Welcome to Wordpress!
Your style is so unique in comparison to other folks I have read stuff from.
Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I'll just book mark this web site. https://gogoalshop.com/Discuzen/upload/home.php?mod=space&uid=406923&do=profile
It's difficult to find well-informed people for this subject, however, you sound like you know what you're
talking about! Thanks http://www.multisys.com.br/wiki/index.php?title=Usu%C3%A1rio:CelindaDms
I've learn several good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting.
I wonder how much attempt you put to create any such
fantastic informative web site. https://jimgriffin22.deviantart.com
What qualifications have you got? http://avanafil.blog.hu/ june villager buy avanafil closed The election workers, who numbered at least five people including four election workers and the deputy mayor of Tessalit, were driven to Camp Amachache, a military camp located 7 kilometers (4 miles) outside Tessalit, which is the base of Chadian forces with the United Nations peacekeeping mission.